"day-ummmmm"
The modern-day Korean woman is on the tall-side, slender (but not skinny), and is very pretty and made-up. Interestingly enough, Korea has an exceptionally large rate of plastic surgery. I have to wonder: are Koreans pretty only through mass aesthetic work, or are so many Koreans naturally pretty that the average-looking one wants something done to fit in? It's the old chicken and the egg, honestly.
I heard a statistic from my co-worker that around 60% of women here get something done. I am not one to debate the merit of plastic surgery, but I think it's a reasonable solution for someone who's fugly and wants to have a easier time in life with the opposite sex (esp. if you're a girl). As empowering a procedure as plastic surgery may be, there is a huge underlying problem: what happens when you decide to make babies with someone who had a lot of things done?
Let's take for example this pop star chick:

This is Hyo Yeon from the group SNSD (I just googled "korean plastic surgery"). To be honest, it seems that she was given a good thwack from the ugly stick at birth. I mean, it looks almost like she had a full sex-change from boy to girl. Seeing the before picture, I'm guessing Hyo Yeon is eternally thankful to her surgeon for what he did for her looks AND her career in entertainment.
Now, let's say I married her, did the hibbity-jibbity, and then 9 months later, out came a kid. I would be expecting a child with decent height from myself and great facial features from it's mom. Instead, I'll get sasquatch. And when little Sasquatch turns 7, he/she'll need some plastic surgery. And a vicious cycle starts.
No comments:
Post a Comment