Jul 6, 2009

3 K-Enigmas and Flip-Street

Here are three things I don't understand:

1 - My students have finished final exams... and there are still 2 weeks of school left before summer vacation. Ok, so what is the incentive for my students to pay attention these next few weeks to the lesson?

2 - Koreans drink no water at lunch. Fuck those little metal cups at the lunch room -- I need a big-gulp-sized cup.

3 - What the hell is my address? I've been here for over 3 months now, and no one has told me my address. Apparently, you can get by in Korea without knowing it, since my bills seem to find me anyway.

***

Trip to Flip-Street

I went to the Hyewha stop by Dongdaemun to visit what I like to dub "Flip Street," a short stretch of sidewalk that is filled on both ends with Filipinos, Filipino lunch stalls, groceries, and of course, bootleg shit. It was actually an interesting trip, because as I walked towards it, the mobs of Korean people around me eventually became a mob of Filipino peoples.

My friend recommended the diniguan, or as Filipinos affectionally call it: "Chocolate Soup." Sounds appealing and it kind-of resembles chocolate too... after you poop it out. I'm open to try things once, so I tried it. It wasn't too bad, though it was a tad salty. I thought the little chunks in there was tofu. It turned out to be coagulated pig's blood.



After eating, we walked over to Dongdaemun. Here was a very interesting sight: a police alcohol checkpoint at 2 PM. Yes, 2 PM. In my mind, I was cycling through possible reasons why people would be drinking at 2PM on Sunday, but then I concluded that it's just what Koreans do.



Dongdaemun is one of the lamest places in my opinion -- all there is to do here is shop. Nevertheless, there was a decent view of the waterway in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment