Today, I had a class on music critiquing. I taught the students some commonly-used phrases to critique music ("It's got a good beat", "It's catchy", "It's nothing special"). We then proceeded to watch 10 music videos of varying genres.
The songs I played were as follows:
1. Justin Bieber - Baby
2. Bach - Cello Suite #1 Prelude
3. Foo Fighters - Everlong
4. Miles David - Summertime
5. Benji Benassi - Satisfaction
6. Bob Marley - Stir It Up
7. My Chemical Romance - Helena
8. Kenny Chesney - She's Got It All
9. BB King - The Thrill is Gone
10. Usher - Yeah!
I instructed them to critique the music using the phrases we learned, but some opted to write their own individuals responses, to my delight:
Bach
-"sorry to Bach"
-"this music is trash"
Foo Fighters
-"he shake his leg too much"
Bob Marley
-"Musician's hairstyle were cool"
-"I like the beat and lyrics very funny"
'stir it up, little darling, stir it up'... I suppose it is a bit funny
My Chemical Romance
-"Bass guy makes me angry"
-"Don't you have any respect for the dead?!"
he noticed they were dancing at a funeral. nice comment
Usher
-"the girl is so sexy"
-"scary"
overall, the students liked this genre/song the best. hopefully this'll mean they are more familiar with hip hop and i won't have to see godawful Korean dancing at the clubs
Kenny Chesney
-"fuck"
there were surprisingly positive ratings for country music. americans-not-from-the-south probably don't have as high an opinion on country.
Justin Bieber
-"gross"
Bach
-"NOT AWESOME!!!!"
the one song that got the most shit dropped on it was BB King. the music wasn't well-liked and many students commented how he was making awkward faces (feelin the music ... just a tad too much).
BB King
-"he look stupid, sorry BB King"
-"singer appearance very dirty"
-"singer's voice is very embarassing"
-"let's fight"
Mar 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment