Jul 18, 2010

The Stares

It's something I still haven't gotten over here in homogenous Korea. 

If you're a white person, you will get stared down. If you're a black person, you will get stared down. If you're a Middle Eastern person, you will get stared down and then they will ask you "how much for a kebab?"

I'm of Southern-Chinese descent. People think I am Korean here. Hell, people get confused when I tell them that I'm not, as if me being Mongolian, Japanese, or Vietnamese is impossible. So, I blend in.

As a Korean-looking person, when I start speaking English, the whole around me stops and stares -- their wide-open eyes (as wide as Korean eyes can get) and jaw-dropping expression say to me: "you are Korean... but you speak English??" This country has seen many white people, so it's not too surprising for many Korean. However, I'm a different group of foreigner. I get the stares more than white people.

No comments:

Post a Comment