
I used to really like kim chi -- it was a fiber-full and spicy addition to my meals. Having been in Korea for over a month now, the joy of munching on spiced vegetables is slowly waning, and in it's place are only the feelings of pain and frustration.
You see, there is kim chi everywhere and at every meal. Whether I'm eating katsu, noodles, Korean yakiniku or eating at the cafeteria, there is ALWAYS kim chi on plate, staring at me ominously, begging me to eat just another plate of them. There is no escape.
Once in a while, it seems restaurants here like to switch things up with a little variety -- radish kim chi instead of cabbage kim chi.

Oohhhhh boy, what a way to spice up my life! Pun intended.
And if that weren't bad enough, well, they are always 50+ other types of kim chi.

Much as the protagonist in Edgar Allen Poe's short-story, "The Tell-Tale Heart," was slowly driven to insanity by the still-beating heart of his victim, I am similarly becoming insane by way of eating kim chi... everyday.
I've never had the stuff; there are no Korean restaurants out here. I'm scared I won't like it, and then whoever takes me to try it will be offended.
ReplyDelete