May 15, 2009

My First Rose

It is May 15th and officially "Teacher's Day" here in Korea. Teachers are forbidden from accepting gifts from students (due to a possible "you scratch my back, I give you an A in class" situation). However, it is okay for teachers to accept flowers.

A student by the name of Jin Gyu today actually gave ME a rose and thanked me for being a teacher. How strange is it that I have been the one giving flowers to others all my life, and now, someone gives one to me? It was very thoughtful and as a teacher, I must say these small tokens of appreciation like this make my job feel very fulfilling. Oh and did I mention Jin Gyu is a dude? And that the wrapping on the rose says, "Loving You?"

Hm... man-crush on the teacher or ... just another Korean custom? You decide.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, that came out wrong...

    It has to be the custom (insomnia is messing with my grammar).

    ReplyDelete