Apr 14, 2009
The Challenge of the Educator
Teaching is for the most part, very enjoyable, and a lot of this enjoyment stems from the feeling of achievement in teaching. When I see kids' attention and I hear them answering my questions in class, I feed off their energy and effort and this makes me want to be an even better teacher to them. However, of my 20 classes, I have about 3 that make me cringe to think about them -- they make me want to say, "not these f***ers again." The least I can do, as a professional, is to give them a lesson, no matter if only 1 student understands and no matter if they could care less. I could do more though, but I ask myself this: do I want to do more for them? The first step in change is the desire to change. I could open myself to helping them, but that does not matter if they are not seeking help. In a harvest, there are always going to be some bad crops. Thinking about this seems to be the hardest part of teaching.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment