A month has passed since I first arrived -- amazing. I guess time flies when you're having fun playing the crane game.
@@@
Teachers are the ones who nurture the adults of the future, I've heard. Teaching is such a great job because you get to work with kids, I heard. I've never heard anyone mention that teaching can be a nice treat for a sadist.
I like to ask random students questions during the class. Most are hesitant, but will softly eek out an answer. Some are brash and proudly answer, no matter how little sense they make. Then there are the timid: they either stare down at their book when I approach them or just sit there. When they just sit there, I'm not sure if they are waiting for me to move on or if they are thinking about the answer. I suppose these timid students are simply incapacitated with fear, like the fear that filled America in the early 20th century, when Prohibition was enacted and Americans realized they couldn't get shit-faced on the weekend. Public speaking is a common fear, (I would guess even moreso for these young students), so I try not to get angry at them. I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy seeing them sweat or hearing their moans of agony as I call their name in class though.
It's called "tough love," kids.
I could just show my students a Disney movie and have them just laugh and enjoy class, but I want them to practice as much as possible, because of course, practice does make perfect.
I was thinking of showing them a clip from Rocky III to encourage and inspire them to have the courage to speak in class. Instead, I decided to show them this video of a man that can't count to "20" (fkn hilarious):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv62SN9P008
The lesson I told my students after showing them the video: practice makes perfect, you lil fuckers.
Apr 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I hope I'm not a sucky teacher. I'll find out if my professor sends my recommendation letter on time.
ReplyDelete